Malaysia: NCR land inquiry results to be announced on March 6

    140

    KOTA KINABALU: The outcome of a public inquiry on indigenous people’s land rights in Sabah will be known on March 6. Suhakam Sabah commissioner Jannie Lasimbang said the 10-day hearing in June last year saw about 50 people testifying on the subject.

    “We welcome the public and those who have testified to attend the announcement starting at 9am in Promenade,” she said during a roundtable meeting with the media yesterday. Suhakam commissioner and chairman for complaints, enquiry and monitoring group Muhammad Sha’ani Abdullah called on non-governmental organisations to give their views and submit reports to the Universal Periodic Review. He said NGOs with expertise on issues related to rights to assembly and rights of the indigenous people should give their suggestions through UPR. These organisations, he said, would have until March 13 to send their reports to the UPR website at uprsubmissions@ohchr.org.

    “We are not trying to give some people more rights than others. “We are just trying to fight for basic human rights, which every person has a right to,” he explained. He said Malaysia had accepted 63 suggestions out of 103 submitted by various countries during the Human Rights Summit in Geneva, Switzerland in 2009.

    Source: The Star Online