KOTA BARU: The Kelantan state government has ordered an immediate halt to logging activities in the Balah forest reserve until further notice.

State Forestry Department director Zahari Ibrahim said the decision was made on Monday morning.

“This decision was made to ensure peace among the orang asli and loggers who are faced with blockades put up by the orang asli,” he told reporters at his office here on Monday.

He said the decision by the PAS-led state government had been agreed to by all parties.

Protesters have put up barricades at disputed logging sites to prevent lumber lorries from leaving the Balah forest.

Blockades have been set up at two locations about 70km from Gua Musang, one at Pos Tohoi-Pos Gob and another at Kampung Bering in Pos Pasik.

Source: THE STAR Online